Customise Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorised as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyse the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customised advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyse the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Football: Soccer-UK travel ban on ‘violent’ Man City, Chelsea fans during Club World Cup

LONDON (Reuters) -Around 150 Manchester City and Chelsea fans who have a history of violent conduct will be banned from travelling during the FIFA Club World Cup in the United States this summer, Britain’s interior ministry said on Wednesday.

To help prevent soccer-related disorder at the tournament, fans of the clubs who are already subject to a football banning order for previous thuggish behaviour will be forced to surrender their passports to the police from June 9-July 13.

“Many Manchester City and Chelsea fans will want to travel to support their teams in this summer’s tournament and we want them all to do so safely and enjoyably,” Policing Minister Diana Johnson said in a statement.

“But for the tiny minority of troublemakers who use football as an excuse for criminality, we will be applying the same proven preventative measures that we have successfully done for other overseas tournaments.”

The fans in question will be contacted by the Football Banning Orders Authority, the statement said, adding that failure to comply with the rule could result in an unlimited fine or a possible six-month prison sentence.

There were 2,172 football banning orders in force in England and Wales, according to data from last year.

(Reporting by Ben Ezeamalu; editing by Sarah Young and Christian Radnedge)